Quick links to topics

Eight Factions for "A Right Bloody Mess' Australian civil war

I managed to visit Eureka miniatures to day to buy some 15mm figures to make up some different factions for the 'A Right Bloody Mess" Australian civil war set in 1933.

As I am only playing at section/squad level, I don't need a whole lot of figures, and because of this, I was able to afford enough figures for eight factions.


I laid out each faction in rows for the above photo, so from top to bottom you have:

The Murray River League, a faction loyal to the Federation that skirmishes with Victorian troops along the Murray River. (The Figures are WW2 US sailors)

Riverina Troops: troops from the NSW Riverina area that ceded from NSW and are backed by Victoria. (WW2 early USCM)

The Tobacco Growers Federation: a militia group from North Eastern Victoria that were raised to defend their lands from other factions, and to send troops to help the Riverina. They are allied with Victoria. (I am using WW2 Italian Bersaglieri for these troops, as historically a lot of Italians went to grow Tobacco in the region in the early 1930s)

The Wine Growers Association: This is a Communist Union with troops across Australia where ever grapes are grown to make wine. This particular mob is out to take the lands from the Victorian Tobacco Growers Federation as the fertile lands would be perfect to grow more grapes. (WW1 Bulgarians)

Victorian Light Horse: one of the many units that forms part of the Victorian standing army. (WW1 Australian Light Horse)

Australian Red Centre: their main enemy is Westralia, but ARC troops do come in to conflict from time to time with Victorian troops, and can be found meddling in the Riverina conflict. (WW1 British in the Sinai)

An as yet un-named Militia group: but they are most likely to be a workers Union of some kind. As I visited Eureka Miniatures in person I was able to purchase just the figures with caps, giving them a very civilian look.  I thought I actually had a faction named for these figures, but for the life of me can't find where I made the notes. (WW2 Russian partisans)

and the final faction is:

The NSW Communist Party (a sub group of the Communist Part of Australia): This name is probably just a working title until I come up with something better. (Viet Minh from the French-Indo China range)


I am intending to paint up one of each of the figures to see what I come up with for the uniforms, and I intend to post each faction with the uniform once I had done so.


3 comments:

Clint said...

A good read. It will e interesting to follow this from the other side of the planet.

Simon Quinton said...

Nice list of factions. Looking forward to seeing these with a splash of paint mate!

Unknown said...

This looks great. By the way, a few years ago I posted something on the old Forum website where I had discovered that in Oz in those days there was a strong move towards uniting all of the unions in the country into one organisation. it was called (and you can check this)...the Big Union Movement.

Which means that your leftist forces can have a huge banner with B.U.M on it. I think that would make a brilliant flag!